By Lidia Yuknavitch
Read Online or Download Allegories of Violence: Tracing the Writings of War in Late Twentieth-Century Fiction (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This e-book lines a provocative line from Emerson's paintings on race, reform, and id to paintings by way of 3 influential African- American thinkers--W. E. B. Du Bois, Martin Luther King Jr. , and Cornel West--each of whom bargains refined engagement with either the culture of written protest and the critique of liberalism Emerson formed.
Interpreting a variety of representations of actual, metaphorical, and dream landscapes in Charlotte Brontë, George Eliot, and Thomas Hardy, Eithne Henson explores the best way gender attitudes are expressed, either in descriptions of panorama because the human physique and in rules of nature. Henson discusses the effect of eighteenth-century aesthetic idea, relatively on Brontë and Eliot, and argues that Ruskinian aesthetics, Darwinism, and different clinical preoccupations of an industrializing economic climate, replaced buildings of panorama within the later 19th century.
An international of phrases deals a brand new examine the measure to which language itself is a subject of Poe's texts. Stressing the methods his fiction displays at the nature of its personal signifying practices, Williams sheds new mild on such concerns as Poe's characterization of the connection among writer and reader as a fight for authority, on his information of the displacement of an "authorial writing self" by way of a "self because it is written," and on his debunking of the redemptive houses of the romantic image.
Through the 20th century, on the top of the independence circulation and after, Indian literary writing in English was once entrusted with the duty of consolidating a dead ringer for a unified, doubtless caste-free, modernising India for intake either at domestic and in a foreign country. This ended in a serious insistence at the proximity of the nationwide and the literary, which in flip, ended in the canonisation of sure writers and topics and the dismissal of others.
- Distant Readings: Topologies of German Culture in the Long Nineteenth Century (Studies in German Literature Linguistics and Culture)
- Collected Stories (New Zealand Fiction)
- Situated Testimonies: Dread and Enchantment in an Indonesian Literary Archive
- The South Seas: A Reception History from Daniel Defoe to Dorothy Lamour
- The reality—fiction opposition in children’s literature: "Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland", "Through the Looking-Glass", "Die Unendliche Geschichte" and "The Book of Lost Things"
- Teaching Literature: Language and Cultural Awareness Using the Example of "Hills Like White Elephants"
Extra resources for Allegories of Violence: Tracing the Writings of War in Late Twentieth-Century Fiction (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
Allegories of Violence: Tracing the Writings of War in Late Twentieth-Century Fiction (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory) by Lidia Yuknavitch